Among Valle d’Aosta’s castles
Over the centuries, the Passérin d'Entrèvesse fortified house, situated a short distance from the parish church in the heart of the village, has been a prestigious witness of Chatillon’s history.
Its history dates back to the Roman era, since the name of Chatillon itself is originally derived from “castrum” (castle), and indicates a place from which an urban centre arose. There must have been a Roman fortress on the site where the castle currently stands. After the succession of various noble families, the castle became the property of the Viscount of Aosta, who subsequently became the lords of Challant, at the end of the 14th century.
It was extended by Jean de Challant in 1400. The archive room, with its wooden ceiling and frescoed walls similar to those in Fénis castle, still remains from this time. The last Passerin d'Entrèves to live in the castle in Chatillon was Ettore-Onorio, born in Turin in 1914.