A witness of the Roman era in Châtillon
The history of the first settlements in the region gained new impetus with the Roman bridge over the Marmore stream. The imposing passage consists of a round, 15 m high arch constructed from squared local stone, the surfaces of which still have small visible notches for attaching the pincers that were used to lift these stone elements.
According to Valdostan historian De Tillier, it was destroyed by the retreating French troops in 1691, but is still shown as being intact in a, perhaps idealised, print from 1797. Its ruins are worth a look and make the scenery around Chatillon even more enchanting.